The importance of sleep before a marathon
Runners or simply athletes need to have ample sleep a night before the race. Experts say that running sleep deprived is equivalent to driving while drunk or intoxicated. According to national sleep foundation, sleep is as essential as diet and exercise as far as running is concerned. Inadequate sleep can bring about fatigue, illness and injury as well as depression and concentration problems. As a runner, you need adequate sleep as well as comfortable sleep that will make you body relax and prepare for the race.
Note that sleeping is not all about having a lot of hours in bed but also, comfortable sleep that will relax the body. Enough and comfortable sleep stimulates muscle growth, repair muscles, burn calories and build the bones. By so doing, your body gets the stamina to run again and again. When the body muscles are not repaired, there are higher chances of the athlete enduring injuries during the race.
Studies show that an average of 7.5 hours a night is adequate for any athlete. However, some individual can do much better with even less sleeping hours. Further studies show that athlete who sleeps much longer and enjoys quality sleep performs much better than others. Studies show that sleep deprivation has an effect on the metabolism. The ability of the body to metabolize glucose is reduced. This means that the body will not have enough energy to fuel the muscles during that endurance exercise.
How to improve your sleep?
As mentioned earlier, a runner needs ample and quality sleep a night before the race. However, some runners struggle to get that quality sleep. Here are some few tips to help you improve the quality of your sleep so as to run at your best.
1. Have a regular sleeping hour. Ensure that you have fixed sleeping hour. Maintain a schedule when it comes to going to bed. For instance, you decide that you will be getting into the bed every day starting at 10.00 PM. Also, make the waking hour a fixed hours. That is, always wake up at 7 am or 6 am.
2. Correcting beddings: as stated earlier, it is not the number of hours you spend that matters a lot, but the quality of sleep you get from that bed. Therefore, you need to a good bed and a mattress such as a memory foam mattress or latex that keep your body in the right sleeping position and limits movements while you sleep, you can read memory foam mattress reviews over the web. In fact, the type of the mattress that you use can influence the quality of sleep you have. with some mattress, you may wake up feeling fatigued. You, therefore, need a mattress that will relax the body properly. Memory foam mattress is a good example.
3. Ensure that your bedroom is quiet, dark and cool. You will sleep faster and without disturbance.
4. Limit the amount of alcohol and caffeine in case you use them. The dual are linked to decreased sleep quality.
5. An hour before sleeping, turn off your TV, smartphone, laptop and such. This helps to increase the quality of sleep.
After poor night of sleep, it is more likely that you will be unmotivated and you will end up performing poorly. Success begins with the mind. A sober mind and a relaxed body will perform much better than a fatigued one.